When most people set a goal, they name it and leave it at that. While that’s better than not setting a goal, it’s only the first step. You need to go even deeper if you wish to accomplish it.
When you set a goal, you also want to set the expectations of the goal.
- What is it that you REALLY want from the goal?
- What feelings do you want to have?
- Where do you want to be?
- Who/What do you want to have surrounding you?
These thoughts help to refine and define your goal into a more Specific goal. They help you to get REALLY CLEAR on what it is YOU want. It’s the part of the goal that really takes the most dreaming from you.
How to Set Goal Expectations
I’m in a coaching group where they call this kind of refinement “Landing the Plane”. The idea is to get so clear on what you’re talking about that people can “see” it.
Think about walking down the street and seeing someone who has accomplished the goal you have set for yourself.
What do they look like? Happy? …But how do you know they’re happy? What about their movement and environment SHOW you they are happy?
Imagine you were filming them but as a silent movie, what would you include in the images?
Maybe it would be that they:
- Are smiling and laughing with the biggest names in their field of business
- Wear the most fashionable clothes
- Driving a Mercedes, Ferrari, or Lamborghini (or maybe all three)
- Traveling to exotic places
But maybe it looks like:
- Hugging, laughing, and cracking jokes with their spouse in the kitchen
- Wearing t-shirts and blue jeans
- Driving a Dodge Charger
- Going to the movies with their grown children
- Spending time supporting their kids and grandkids by dropping everything and traveling across the country in a time of need
The point is to make it REAL! Get nitty gritty with your expectations. See, feel, hear, smell, and taste your goal.
Why Set Expectations
When you can hold that vision for your goal and future, it makes it easier to take the steps to get there. It gives you the strength to make it through the hard times when everything just blows up.
It takes some time and work to get to the true vision of your goal, your dream, but it’s worth every second.
If you have a hard time getting that granular, share it with some trusted folks. People who will hold your dream sacred and not try to tear it apart. People who will help you craft and hold the detailed vision for yourself.
If you don’t have those people in your life, search for them. Find groups, masterminds, and/or coaches that resonate with you and have big dreams as well. Google them, find the group that works for you. Take them for a test drive. Make sure the people and energy fit you and your dream.
I will be opening registration for Goals Bootcamp 2023 on November 18th. If you want to take a test drive, download the Goal Template and join the free Goal Challenge starting TODAY, November 16th through the 18th.
Remember: Keep your eyes on the horizon, your hands on the wheel, and your foot on the GAS!!
Let’s DO THIS!